History of Weston’s Farm
HOME PAGEUnique_Maine_Farms.html


       In 1799, Ephriam Weston moved from Massachusetts to the Province of Maine and purchased a 46 acre parcel of land along the Saco River (this area was under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Bay Colony until 1820). 
       Ephriam purchased the 46 acres from Captain Henry Young Brown, the founder of Brownfield.  Brown had laid claim to the property and considered it part of his 6 square mile grant.  However, an official survey of the abutting New Hampshire state line triggered the discovery that Brown was actually living on the land that Colonel Joseph Frye had already been granted.  In short, Brown (and his name sake town) were actually in Fryeburg. 
       Eager to reside in his own town, Brown sold the property and house to Ephriam for a moderate price of $766.00. 

       In the 1860's the original house was moved to the ever growing Fryeburg village about a mile away.  One small addition from the house stayed on the Weston property.  It was moved and attached to a outbuilding that had been constructed. That outbuilding is now the current Farm Stand and the small addition serves as the gift shop.  At over 225 years old this small 20' square structure is believed to be the oldest building in the Saco River Valley. 

The original Weston homestead.  The covered bridge is visible in the bottom right corner.  Around 1850.

Weston homestead 1935.

       With the original house removed from the property construction was started on the current house.  The three story mansard roofed Second Empire style home was constructed in 1870 by John Weston (1835-unknown) and the title of Rivercroft Farm (meaning above the river) was attached to the homestead.

Weston's Bridge as viewed from the west bank upstream.  

       The Saco River bisects the Weston farmland and is as much a part of the homestead as the land itself.
       Seven covered bridges once crossed the Saco in the greater Fryeburg area.
       One of those was Weston's Bridge.  Built in 1844 by Peter Paddleford it was 250 feet long and was originally a toll bridge.  It was burned down in 1947 to make way for a new concrete bridge that was constructed just down stream.  The covered bridge's stone abutments and pier are still visible today. 


       Throughout the years the Weston's dealt in many commodities but were known mostly for dealing in livestock; cattle, sheep, pigs and horses.  These animals were bought and sold from the many farms in the rich agricultural community of the Saco River Valley.  Animals were transported by open drives across the countryside and eventually by rail from the Fryeburg station.
       As the number of farms began to dwindle so did the need for replacement livestock. The Weston's began a dairy, milking registered Holsteins to supplement the fading livestock business.  Soon the days of small dairy farms would begin to end as well which caused the family farm to morph yet again.

Cattle dealer John F. Weston and son George C. Weston.  1950's

  Humble beginnings.  The first "Weston's Farm Stand" in 1984.

       In 1985 the pastureland of the dairy farm was turned into cropland for a vegetable business.  Weston's Farm Stands were started in the late 1980's and thus began the latest chapter in the story of the Weston family.   

200+ years, six generations and still going strong.
John S. and George C. Weston


The photos and text that appears on this

webpage relating to the history of the

Weston’s Farm was taken from the

Weston’s Farm website with their permission.

Back to Weston’s Farm Home PageWestons_Farm.html